Friday, September 2, 2011

Are you a "Colour Lover?"

As an artist and all-around creative person, I've always loved looking at colors and how they mixed, matched, clashed and complemented each other. It's always fun to pick two or three colors that you would never think of putting together, and having them make the most amazing palette. My paintings usually start with me staring at my tubes of paint and contemplating: which ones fit my mood right now? Is it this one, these two? Oh, now do I want contrast? I discovered a website a few years ago that helps you discovered some really beautiful color palettes: Colour Lovers Colour Lovers allows you to search for palettes by color, or you can browse and be surprised. You can even make your own and submit them, which I believe might require registering on the site. Here are a couple of examples I found:
I actually did this sort of thing with my latest painting, which is a work in progress I'm featuring on my website here I didn't actually submit my palette, but here's what I came up with:
I think that looking through palettes might be inspiring, or it might even help kickstart a lazy art muse into producing ideas - I know that just looking at all the interesting color combinations helps me feel quite creative :)

No comments:

Post a Comment