Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve whatnots....

My Christmas Eve started out getting up semi-early (7:00 A.M. isn't that early compared to most weekdays), and heading to work. Yes, I work for one of those places that doesn't shut down for every holiday... luckily, though, the boss-lady was cool and let us go early. I was out the door about 1:15 or so and heading home.


After a few texts back and forth with the kids during the day, it was decided that our Christmas day meal(dinner, lunch...whatever..) would consist of fried chicken, potatoes with chives and cheese, sweet corn, and rolls



Of course, dessert has to include my mom's fresh apple & cheese cobbler (the cheese is the cream cheese in the crust- sooooo good!)

so after arriving home from work, then a trip to the neighborhood Kroger where I bought all the necessaries, including a six pack of a new beer to try...
which, incidentally, was a pretty good choice on my part. *pats self on back*


I stumbled my way through making a chocolate buttercream frosting, adding some brown sugar and pecan glaze so it would got well with the "doctored" duncan hines german chocolate mix...

my doctoring this time wasn't much more than adding some extract and stirring a little more cocoa into the mix to give the cake a richer flavor, but I think it'll be more special than just "out of the box"

I also prepared the crust for the apple cobbler, which is chilling in the refrigerator, wrapped in wax paper.


As for the star of the show, the fried chicken, it is getting its start by soaking in buttermilk and beer with a splash of Louisiana red hot added. Tomorrow it will be seasoned and then tossed in seasoned flour and fried hot and crispy...


mmmmm!


The cobbler will be baked tomorrow, along with the sides of potatoes and sweet corn. Each dish will come together for a really tasty meal.


I think pairing that with gift giving and silliness and maybe a netflix movie or two will make our little Christmas a good one!





No comments:

Post a Comment